Ice Machine Structure And Working Principle
Updated: Jul 8
Writer: Sinan D. Role: Export & Sales Manager Date: March 2019 https://www.linkedin.com/in/sinan-dayioglu-2a3800109/
The use of ice to cool foods, beverages, and other products starts from the earliest periods of civilization. The use of natural ice with the beginning of mechanical cooling is a thing of the past. Artificial ice production has become an important part of the industry. The principle of ice production is provided by the cooling technique. Ice production is made from very small pieces of 5,10 or 25 kg to 100-150 kg according to need. Drinks with small ice cubes can be cooled without diluting very quickly. For a quick cooling of a cup of beverage, ice cubes serve the purpose.
The larger the area of the ice surface, the quicker the heat will be drawn from the liquid from which the ice is immersed. For example, an ice cube of 6.5 cm³ will have a surface of 39 cm² to contact the beverage for heat transfer. When these ice cubes are placed in 4 cups, the total heat transfer area is 156 cm². If the center of the ice is a hole, the heat transfer area increases. (Tube Ice Machines)
Ice machines operate semi-automatic, fully automatic with the development of technology and their daily capacities are made from 25-50 kg to 100 tons of ice. The ice is produced in various sizes as well as in various forms. These; cube ice, thin films, such as briquette ice (leaf ice), the middle of the hole in the form of ice, and large rectangular shaped ice cubes. Some ice machines are found in mechanisms that crush the ice cubes. The crushed and flat layer is used in ice restaurants and cafeterias to cool and display salads, desserts. Depending on the design of the ice machines, ice is obtained by spraying water to the evaporator or by submerging the evaporator in water in a vertical and horizontal position.
The water sprayed in the inverted evap nests in Figure 3.1 starts to freeze in the nests after a period of time and starts filling them. When the defrost system is activated, the ice molds that loosen from the nests begin to pour into the ice collection container.
Figure 3.1: The principle of ice obtained by sprayed water into inverted evap nests
In Figure 3.2 evap tips are immersed in the moving water reservoir, water around the water tips. The water tank is tilted downwards with the mechanical system. When defrost is activated, the ice is poured into the container. In addition, home-made cabinets have ice-making mechanisms.
Figure 3.2: The principle of obtaining ice by immersion of the evap tips in the moving water chamber
Ice Machine Malfunctions and Elimination
1. The ice machine is not working
- The machine may not be receiving energy. - The operation key may be faulty. - The cables carrying current to the operating switch may be faulty or faulty. - The fan motor and echo can be defective.
- Check the voltage at the socket or junction where the machine is connected to the power supply. - The operation switch is controlled. If it is defective, it is changed. - Feed and other cables that carry current to the operating switch are checked. Faulty cables are replaced. - Fan motor and renovate are checked separately and malfunction. The defective is replaced.
2. Fan motor does not work
- The operation key may be faulty. - The cables carrying current to the fan motor may be broken or faulty. - The fan motor capacitor may be defective. - The fan motor may be faulty.
- The operation switch is controlled. If it is defective, it is changed. - Check the cables. If there are any ejected ends, they will be inserted. Faulty cables are replaced. - The fan motor capacitor is controlled. If it is defective, it is changed. - The fan motor is controlled. If it is defective, it is changed
3. The fan motor of the ice machine is running. It does not cool or heat. Why is that?
- The thermostat may be defective or incorrectly connected. - The excavate thermal may be defective. - The excavate relay may be faulty. - Ekovat permanent or initial development capacitor may be defective. - The excavate may be defective.
- The thermostat is controlled. If it is defective, it is changed. Corrected if there is an incorrect connection. - Check the excavate thermal. If the current does not pass, the thermic is replaced with a new one. - The relay is controlled. The relay is changed if the contacts are sticking or not flowing. - Permanent and development capacitor is controlled. If it is defective, it is changed. - Ecovate winding tips are checked. If the activate is defective, it is replaced. Gas is supplied to the system.
4. Ice machine echoes do not take off. It's thermic
- Permanent or initial development capacitors may be defective. - The relay may be defective. - Mains voltage may be less than 180 volts. - More gas may have been supplied to the system. - Gas balancing time may not be over. - The excavate may be defective.
- Capacitors are controlled. If it is defective it is replaced. - The relay is controlled. If it is defective, it is changed. - Check the mains voltage. If the voltage is lower than 180 volts, the voltage should be increased or the voltage regulator is used. - Excess gas is discharged if there is excess gas in the system. - The equate is de-energized until the gas equilibration time expires. The energy is then checked to see if the excavate works. - Check the winding ends of the ecovat. If it is defective, the echo is replaced. Gas is supplied to the system.
5. The ice machine fuses
- The supply cable may be short-circuited. - Current carrying cables may be disconnected or defective. - There may be a short circuit in the fan motor windings. - There may be a short circuit in the ecovat windings.
- The supply cable is checked. If there is a short circuit, the cable is replaced. - Current carrying cables are checked. The ejected end is replaced. Cables with short circuits are replaced. - The fan motor is controlled. The fan motor is replaced if it is faulty or leaking. - The ecovate is controlled. If there is a short circuit in the excavate, the echo is replaced and gas is supplied.
6. The ice machine is noisy
- The bushing or bearings of the fan motor may be defective. - Ekovat may be working with a voice.
- The fan motor is controlled. If the voice is working, the sound is cleared. Replaced if necessary. - The excavate is controlled. The fastening screws are tightened. If the sound comes from the ecovate, the ecovate is replaced.